Blackheads are one of the most common forms of acne and they can be of different shapes and sizes. This type of acne can affect almost everyone. Most people are looking for the best way to get rid of these blackheads and we know you are one of them. How do you solve this problem? Don’t worry, We have the best and most effective way to get rid of it.
We have discussed here what you need to do to get rid of blackheads. But before you go straight to the answer, you need to know what blackheads are and why they occur? This will help you understand why you are facing Blackheads.
Let’s find out some of the best ways to get rid of blackheads.
Blackheads are small bumps, also known as open comedone. Blackheads are formed when the hair follicle is clogged or plugged by protective substance (sebum) and dead skin cells.
The upper part of these bumps is open and the clogged are gradually turning oxidize, for which its color looks black.
Blackheads are a type of acne vulgaris, which is usually formed on the face, chest, neck, arms, solder, all these body parts.
Our skin has many microscopic hair follicles which we call pore. Each follicle has a sebaceous gland that produces oil(sebum) for our skin. Sometimes this follicle produces more keratin cells than it needs and the follicles get blocked, so the oil(sebum) in our skin gets stuck in these follicles and bacteria build up in them, which leads to blackheads.
Here are some of the factors that may contribute to the risk of developing blackheads.
- Hormonal changes in the body can cause blackheads.
- If someone else in your family has acne, you may also have blackheads or acne. Simply, your genetics can also cause your acne or blackheads.
- Using makeup products whose ingredients are not suitable for your skin those makeup products can also cause skin allergies and acne.
- Using some oily cosmetics can block the pores of the skin and increase the chances of getting acne.
- Smoking disrupts the body’s blood flow and deprives your skin of oxygen and nutrients, which in turn lowers the body’s immune system and takes longer to heal any blemishes on the skin.
- Since hormonal causes are a major cause of acne, if a food directly or indirectly affects your hormones, it will also affect your acne or blackheads.
- Stress negatively affects your blackheads. Pimples are more common during exams or any other stressful event.
Getting rid of blackheads is not a difficult task, but it is important to know the right methods. We’ve seen a lot of people get very anxious when they see blackheads and apply some weird methods to get rid of them! But even then the problem persists or the problem gets worse.
We hope that with this article you will learn about what to do to get rid of blackheads.
We have already said that the first step you need to take to keep your skin clean, to take proper care of your skin, or to keep your skin glowing is to wash your face regularly. Cleaning your face regularly will help to remove excess oil, dirt, dead cells, bacteria, and grime from your skin.
Generally, you should wash your face twice a day to get healthy skin. Once in the morning after waking up and once at night before going to bed. Washing your face in the morning will wash away all the dead cells and bacteria that have accumulated on your skin throughout the night, And washing your face at night will help to remove the pollution, dust that has accumulated on your skin throughout the day.
People who suffer from mild acne like blackheads should use salicylic acid or glycolic acid cleanser when washing their face.
But one thing to keep in mind is that those who have dry skin should wash their face once a day with a cleanser containing any hydrating ingredient.
- Replenix Gly/Sal 10-2 Cleanser,$25.18, Amazon
- L’Oreal Paris Skincare Pure-Clay Facial Cleanser,$6.99, Amazon
- CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser,$15.99, Amazon
- SkinCeuticals LHA Cleanser Gel,$41.00, Dermstoer
- Acne Cleansing Gel Gentle Daily Exfoliating Face Wash,$14.00, KitavaMD
For those whose skin is prone to acne and suffer from problems like blackheads, whiteheads, using non-comedogenic products can be a great option.
Ingredients in non-comedogenic products that do not block the pores of your skin, thus reducing the chances of getting acne.
If you think that using a non-comedogenic product will completely cure your acne then you are wrong. Non-comedogenic products cleanse your skin from excess oil (sebum) and bacteria that help reduce the effects of acne.
- Keihls Ultra Facial Oil Free Gel Cream,$30.96, Amazon
- Dr. Brandt Hyaluronic Facial Cream,$72.00, Dermstore
- CeraVe Moisturizing Cream,$16.08, Amazon
- La Roche-Posay Toleriane Double Repair Face Moisturizer,$19.99, Amazon
- SkinCeuticals Face Cream,$142.00, Dermsore
Clay or charcoal masks can remove dirt and excess oil from the pores of your skin and make your skin smoother and brighter. These masks can detoxify your skin and help solve problems like blackheads and whiteheads.
To get good results, before applying these products you need to wash your face with a mild cleanser to get rid of sweat and dirt from your skin. It is enough to use these products two to three times a week.
These products can dry out your skin so don’t forget to apply moisturizer after using these products.
- boscia Luminizing Black Charcoal Mask,$34.00, Dermstore
- Dermatologic Cosmetic Laboratories Detoxifying Clay Mask,$50.00, Dlcskincare
- Blackheads Remover Charchoal black mask,$15.98, Amazon
- Ylnalo Blueberry Natural Clay Face Mask,$14.99, Amazon
- La Roche-Posay Effaclar Clay Mask,$19.4, Lookfantastic
- SkinCeuticals Clarifying Clay Mask,$59, Dermstore
Retinoids are derivatives of vitamin A, and the use of retinoids benefits the skin in many ways. Retinoids boost skin cell turnover for which it can exfoliate dead skin. Also, the use of retinoids makes the skin glow, reducing pigmentation, control excess oil production, and helps reduce pimples.
The use of retinoids is beneficial for every age group. But before using retinoids, one thing you need to know is that retinoids must be converted to retinoic acid to be effective. There are different types of retinoids such as retinol, retinaldehyde, retinoic acid.
Retinol is very weak and it takes a long time to get the results of its use. Since it is very weak, so it is less irritating for your skin and these are available in many skincare products.
Retinaldehyde will take less time to see results than retinol and it can cause a little irritation to your skin. But retinaldehyde is found in much less skincare products.
- SkinMedica Age Defense Retinol Complex.25,$62.00, Dermstore
- Yeouth Retinol serum,$19.95, Amazon
- Differin Gel Adapalene Gel 0.1% Acne Treatment,$16.99, Amazon
- Glytone Night Renewal Cream,$76.00, Dermstore
- Profoundly Effective A SPF30,$65.00, Dlcskincare
Vitamin C is considered the best for skincare. It is a water soluble acid, so it cannot be stored in our body, for this reason, vitamin c needs to be applied to our skin separately.
Vitamin C is an antioxidant and it reduces free radicals, which are produced from stress, pollution, and other causes. It reduces the melanin production of the skin, which reduces dark spots, pigmentation, uneven skin tone and brightens your skin. Vitamin C also exfoliates dead skin cells and improves skin texture.
Vitamin C is available in different forms such as creams, gels, and serum.
- The Banish Oil – Vitamin C Serum,$49.00, Banish
- One Love Organics Botanical C Facial Serum,$75.00, Aillea
- Obagi Medical Professional-C Serum,$133, Dermstore
- Bella Doe Vitamin C Serum,$19.99, Amazon
- The Banish Oil – Vitamin C Serum,$49.00, Banish
Chemical exfoliators or exfoliating acids are acids that help break down dead skin cells and oils trapped in the pores of your skin and help make your skin healthier. The use of chemical exfoliants can be a beneficial step to improve your skin cell turnover cycle and make your skin glow.
The most common chemical Exfoliators are alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), beta hydroxy acid (BHA) and polyhydroxy acid (PHA), And both of them have the purpose of deeply exfoliate the skin.
There are usually seven types of AHA that we see in various skin care products, and they are citric acid, glycolic acid, hydroxycaproic acid, lactic acid, hydroxycaprylic acid, tartaric acid, malic acid. Among them glycolic acid and lactic acid are very popular.
AHA is a water soluble acid, and because it is water soluble it cannot penetrate into your skin. It helps to clean the top layer of your skin. AHA helps to solve various skin problems like dark spots, dead skin, dullness tanning, and it helps to boost collagen production of your skin.
There are usually two types of BHA, which we can see in different types of skincare products and they are Salicylic acid, Citric acid.
BHA is an oil soluble acid and it penetrates your skin and cleanses your skin from the inside out. BHA deeply cleanses the clogged pores of your skin, And it helps to solve problems like breakouts, pimples, blackheads, whiteheads.
PHA can be great for those whose skin is sensitive. The molecules of PHA are much larger than the molecules of AHA and BHA, so it cannot penetrate deep into your skin and that is why it works on the top layer of the skin without disturbing the deeper layers of your skin.
- Sunday Riley Good Genes All-In-One Lactic Acid Treatment,$85.00, Dermstore
- Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant,29.50, Amazon
- Cane+Austin Glycolic Peel Pads,$78.00, Amazon
- Golfaden MD Fresh A Peel,$85.00, Amazon
- Naturopathica Sweet Cherry Brightening Enzyme Peel,$58.00, Dermstore
Physical exfoliation is a method of removing dead skin cells physically and manually by some small granular rough particles. Nowadays we can see a lot of physical exfoliating agents which are sugar, jojoba beads, pumic crystals, coffee.
These granules are rubbed on the skin, which removes the bacteria that cause acne and makes your skin smoother, radiant.
This procedure is a great option for those who have oily and sensitive skin.
But keep in mind that if you do this process too rough and too often, it can irritate your skin and expose your skin to various infections. It is enough to do this procedure once or twice a week.
- Caudalie Vinoperfect Glycolic Peel Mask,$39.00, Dermstore
- Kate Somerville Intensive Pore Exfoliating Treatment,$88.00, Dermstore
- G10 Radiance Peel,$54.00, Dlcskincare
- SkinCeuticals Micro-Exfoliating Scrub,$31.00, Dermstore
The process of face steaming for skin care has been going on for decades. Face steaming helps to refine the pores of the skin, rejuvenates the skin, and helps to get rid of toxins that accumulate in the skin.
It is very important to use stam before extracting blackheads at home because steam loosens the oil and debris trapped in the pores of your skin, and making the process of blackheads extraction very easy.
Apply a thick layer of aloe vera on your face before using steam so that your skin does not become overly sensitive.
Those whose skin is oily or normal should use steam once a week and those whose skin is dry or mature should use steam once in 15 days.
After using steam, wash your face with cold water as this hot cooling effect increases blood circulation to the skin and increases the level of oxygen in our skin cells thereby rejuvenating your skin and creating new cells.
- Colorfarm Petal-like Nozzle Nano Lonic Facial Steamer,$29.99, Amazon
- Nano Ionic Face Steamer,$20.85, Amazon
Don’t be surprised, I am telling you the reason for moisturizing your skin. In fact, when our skin becomes too dry, our body produces more oil. This extra oil blocks the pores of the skin, which can lead to acne or blackheads.
Moisturizing the skin, balances the oil levels in the skin and prevents the skin from becoming dry.
You should choose moisturize that is non-comedogenic, oil free, and that will not clog pores. Usually, these terms are written in the product description.
- Carave Facial Moisturizing lotion,$13.47, Amazon
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel,16.97, Amazon
- EltaMD AM Therapy Facial Moisturizer,36.00, Dermstore
- Proactiv Green Tea Moisturizer,$40.00, Amazon
Sunscreen protects your skin from sunburn and premature aging. Also, all the medicines that are used to treat acne or blackheads make your skin photosensitive so you should use sunscreen at the same time to avoid all these problems.
The four things you need to keep in mind before choosing sunscreen.
- Before buying sunscreen, take a look at what type of skin, it is suitable for.
- Sunscreens of different textures work for different skin types. Fluids, gels, light lotions All these sunscreens are suitable for acne prone skin. These types of sunscreens are very light and do not make the skin oily.
- Always choose a sunscreen that contains zinc oxide, iron oxide, niacinamide, vitamin B3 and B5.
- Before buying sunscreen, make sure that it has PA +++ protection written on it. You should also use sunscreen with SPF 30 UVB or SPF 40 UVB.
(Learn more about what to look for in a sunscreen before buying)
- Colorescience Sunforgettable Total ProtectionFace Shield Flex SPF 50,$45.00, Colorescience
- Antioxidant Mineral Sunscreen spf 30,$48.00, Dlcskincare
- Suntegrity Natural Mineral Sunscreen spf 30 – Unscented,$24.00, Aillea
- EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46,37.00, Amazon
If you want to get rid of blackheads for a while, you can use pore strip. It removes the accumulated debris in the pores of your skin.
These strips are a type of cloth or band aid that has adhesive on one side and can stick to your skin for which it can pull out top layers of dead skin cells and blackheads.
For best results, you need to soak your skin in warm water before using these strips, which will open the pores of your skin, And leave it for 10 to 15 minutes after application so that it can bind to all the dead cells and debris on your skin.
Using a pore strip does not improve your skin permanently as your pores may get stuck again. So these strips have to be used once a week.
There are many types of pore strips available in the market. For best results, check the ingredients before buying a pore strip.
- Biore Nose+Face Deep cleansing Pore Strips,$12.73, Amazon
- Hydropeptide Bambusa Blackhead Banisher,$22.00 Amazon
- Livaclean Pore Strips,$14.99, Amazon
- Peace Out Pores,$25.49, Amazon
Popping blackheads on your own can be very satisfying, but one thing to know, if it is done in the wrong way it can be bad for you instead of good. Getting help from a professional to get rid of these blackheads can be beneficial for you.
A professional is specially trained to manually extract blackheads. There is no chance of any other skin problem through their procedure. Professionals use a small tool to unclog the pores without enlarging the skin pores as a result, there is no chance of inflammation or infection.
We have described above the best way to get rid of blackheads and we hope this article will help you a lot. There are many treatments you can take to get rid of blackheads but one thing in mind you need to take care of your skin regularly so that all these problems do not recur.
If you have blackheads for a long time and none of the above methods can cure your blackheads, then you need to talk to a dermatologist to avoid the risk of infection and to protect your skin from becoming more serious.